Thursday, 03 July 2008

Jelly Belly


Q: I’m desperate to get rid of my jelly belly. Do I have to do ab exercises every day or should I alternate with other routines?

A: Since you cannot spot -reduce fat in any one area of the body, you should look at combining a healthy diet, medium-to-high-intensity cardiovascular training, and some form of resistance training for the whole body (whether working with body weight or external resistance).

This will result in the underlying muscles becoming more toned (due to the resistance training), as well as a reduction in total body fat (by means of optimal nutrition and cardiovascular training).

Split your resistance programme so that you do upper body on one day and lower body on another (try and complete both programmes at least twice every week); ensure that you get 20-25 minutes of cardio daily and watch your intake of saturated fat, processed food, sugar, alcohol, sodium and chemical additives to ensure a healthier diet.