Thursday, 05 June 2008

Fitness Q&A


Q: I have had to take cortisone orally for two years resulting in rolls around my middle. I work out regularly and eat healthily but I am now struggling to lose the extra weight. Please help!

A: Synthetic cortisone mimics natural cortisone (one of the many hormones produced by the adrenal glands). To aid hormonal balance, see a naturopath who can help support your system more naturally.

Eat only whole, naturally-occurring organic foods and get a good mix of carbohydrates (vegetables, fruits and whole grains), proteins (meat, beans, legumes, nuts) and good quality fats (coconut, butter and cold-pressed virgin plant or nut oils).

Drink plenty of heavy metal filtered water and avoid sugar, alcohol, juices, fast food and cigarettes.

A good exercise programme should include resistance training and a little cardio – ideally performed in the morning, or at least before 6pm (you want to allow your cortisol levels to fall towards the end of the day, as any slightly intensive exercise after this time will raise these levels).

Be as active as you can, every day of your life.
- Tanya Wyatt, fitness and lifestyle expert.